Something else that jumped out at me from this chapter was the small paragraph on critical literacy. This is something that first crossed my path in the 9th grade. When my teacher was helping us dissect the material that we were reading, it gave us an understanding of the depth of the text. Often times when students, and even adults, are reading, they are unable to realize the multiple meanings that the text can contain. As an effective teacher, no matter which subject, the teacher should help the students dig into and comprehend the many different angles that text can contain.
The other thing I noticed that caught my eye is the small paragraph on building community. I think that building community is possibly one of the most important things the teacher can do in the classroom. It is important to realize that building community is important inside and outside the classroom. It also must involve the parents of the students. Getting the parents involved in the students academics is not easy, but very necessary. The teacher can do things such as giving the parents things to do to help their child with homework. Not all parents are able to come into the classroom so it is important to provide them with the same opportunity as every other parent.
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteThese are great ideas! I believe that building a classroom community is a topic that should have more attention than one paragraph. Parent participation can raise our students' success rate. We can also help build a classroom community by creating a class website and/or class newsletter. I believe that this is easy way to keep parents involved with the school.
ReplyDeleteI also had similar experiences when I was in elementary and high school. Since we have learned that differentiated instruction is extremely important, we must set a good example for teachers who may still follow these habits. We should share our ideas with other teachers and backup our ideas by displaying our students' excellent work.
You noticed most of the things that I noticed. I am very big on building community with my classroom. If I do not have that atractive power I could not be able to connect with my students. One good thing about NCLB is that teachers are accountable. I have seen so many teachers that are just getting by. How can our students achieve academic excellence if we just give them enough information to just know about the subject.
ReplyDelete