Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Chapter5

It is extremely important to motivate students and encourage them to enjoy reading.  Through motivating students to read, teachers are constantly breaking down barriers, and overcoming reading anxiety.  As an effective teacher, it is important to motivate students even when the text is not complicated.  Before reading anything, I believe teachers should explain the text, ask the students questions about the content in the text, and get them excited about what they are going to read.

I belive teachers should expose students to all types of informational text.  Often times we do not realize we are reading or gaining information from the things we read.  For example, on Laurens Blog, she explained how we even gain information from reading the back of a toothpaste tube.  As effective teachers, we should show our students the amount of information they are gaining indirectly by reading things like billboards, logos, and food packages.

2 comments:

  1. I agree that it is our job to motivate students to read and do well in all content areas. However, I find it hard at times to motivate people to do something that I myself don't enjoy. So, I am trying to develop a better attitude about reading in order to properly inspire my students, and as we all know the ability to read impacts all aspects of the student's life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whitney, I agree with you about motivation and encouragement playing important parts of understanding the reading of a text. I believe that the teachers have to be motivated in the text in order to motivate the students. We have similar thoughts about the variety of text in a classroom. You will have to show me how you added the link to Lauren's blog with her name.

    ReplyDelete